Welcome to the Jolly Bengali Blog. I like writing about politics, travel and the trials & tribulations of being a Third Culture kid. My musings on sports are split out into a separate blog called The Confluence.
Correspondence is my travel-related musings.
Of Cabbages and Kings deals with the mundanities of life.
The Locke & Demosthenes categories are derived from the Ender’s Game saga by Orson Scott Card. Highly recommended reading, if you haven’t already read them.
A few of my favorite things…
The ones I rewatch:
- The Sting (George Roy Hill, 1973)
- Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis, 1994)
- The Matrix (the Wachowski Bros, 1999)
- Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)
- Spirited Away (Hayao Miyasaki, 2001)
The ones I love but rarely rewatch:
- The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1995)
- The Usual Suspects (Bryan Singer, 1995)
- Aladdin (Ron Clements/John Musker, 1992)
- Singin’ in the Rain (Gene Kelly/Stanley Donen, 1956)
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
- Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1956)
The ones I re-read:
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester
- Einstein’s Dreams by Alan Lightman
- Candide by Voltaire
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The ones I love but almost never reread:
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
- Night by Elie Wiesel
- Soul to Squeeze by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Under Pressure by Queen & David Bowie
- Nuthin’ But A G Thang by Dr. Dre f/Snoop Doggy Dogg
- Winter by Tori Amos
- The Life by Mystic
- Galla Guriyan by American Desi Soundtrack
- Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
- Man Dole Mera Tan Dole by Nagin Soundtrack
- Moonlight Sonata by Ludwig Von Beethoven
- Canon In D by Johann Pachelbel
- Dream On by Aerosmith
Favorite TV shows
- The West Wing
- Battlestar Galactica
- Big Bang Theory
- House of Cards
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Looney Tunes
Routine Information Collection
All web servers track basic information about their visitors. This information includes, but is not limited to, IP addresses, browser details, timestamps and referring pages. None of this information can personally identify specific visitors to this site. The information is tracked for routine administration and maintenance purposes.
Cookies and Web Beacons
Controlling Your Privacy
Note that you can change your browser settings to disable cookies if you have privacy concerns. Disabling cookies for all sites is not recommended as it may interfere with your use of some sites. The best option is to disable or enable cookies on a per-site basis. Consult your browser documentation for instructions on how to block cookies and other tracking mechanisms. This list of web browser privacy management links may also be useful.
Special Note About Google Advertising
Any advertisements served by Google, Inc., and affiliated companies may be controlled using cookies. These cookies allow Google to display ads based on your visits to this site and other sites that use Google advertising services. Learn how to opt out of Google's cookie usage. As mentioned above, any tracking done by Google through cookies and other mechanisms is subject to Google's own privacy policies.
It’s also important to note that, aside from Google Adsense, some of the product links here are Affiliate links. I don’t link to anything that I haven’t tried myself.